The human history of the Yachats area stretches back more than a millennium with cultural historians having documented evidence of native civilization as far back as 1,500 years. This year, however, marks a more modern milestone as the small central coast town celebrates 100 years as Yachats proper. The name was adopted in 1917 when residents of what had long been “Ocean View” decided they wanted to differentiate their town from the many Oregon coast cities with “Ocean” in their names. The name Yachats derives from the native Siletz language and translates roughly to “dark waters at the edge of the sea.” And while there is certainly darkness in the corners of Yachats history, the story of Yachats is also one of determination, resilience and reconciliation. Below is a timeline of some of the area’s major historic milestones.
The first Post Office established, George M. Starr was postmaster. It was called Ocean View. It was located about one mile north of today’s town near where the Alsea Sub-agency had been located
John Vingey a pioneer settler filed a placer mine claim somewhere along Vingey Creek.
George M. Starr a pioneer settler homesteaded land known as Overlook Addition. The deed was signed by President Chester A. Arthur.
Yachats Telephone Company was created by O.V. Hurt, W.M. Brooks, and Silas Howel
U.S. Forest Service blasted a road around Cape Perpetua and built a wooden bridge over the Yachats River linking Yachts and the Florence area.
Town folk decided to rename Ocean View to Yachats as it was felt that there were too many other towns with similar names having “ocean’ in their name. J. Kenneth Berry is given credit for suggesting this name change
Montag and Sons built a steel bridge over the Yachats River replacing the wooden bridge built in 1914. Construction costs were $23,034
Little Log Church was built by volunteer carpenters using donated materials. The logs were floated down the Yachats River while windows and pews came by rail, water and wagon from a church in Philomath. The bell arrived a bit later from a place called Lentz, near Roseburg. The small pump organ is still in use and dates back to the 1880’s.
The Civilian Conservation Corps built a castle like lookout post and shelter at Cape Perpetua.
Little Log Church was completed after 5 years of construction and operated under auspices of the Evangelical United Brethren until December 1949 when it became a Presbyterian church. Land was donated.
The North Fork Yachats River Bridge, a covered bridge 38 feet long was built
Name corrected to Yachats Ladies Club. The Lincoln County Historical Society has confirmed that the Yachats Ladies Club is the longest running club of its type in Lincoln County, maybe in Oregon.
The Yachats Lions Club was chartered with 23 members. The Waldport Lions was the sponsoring club
The ladies collected $329 that was used to purchase the first ambulance in town. The 1947 Packard ambulance cost $800.
First Ordinance Adopted: Regulation of Businesses – Annual Business License fee $10
Grand Opening of Dairy Queen. 2,200 sq ft building was one of the largest Dairy Queens in Oregon when it opened. Owners were Mr. and Mrs. David Freeland who were former owners of the Newport Dairy Queen
OVERLEAF LODGE OPENS! FEBRUARY 14
Cape Cove Slide just north of Sea Lion Caves closed hwy 101 for 42 days and impeded traffic for 92 days.
Lester’s Tavern, a Yachats landmark for over 40 years closed
Linda Hetzler and Gary Thomas purchased the vacant Lester’s Tavern and remodel the building.
OVERLEAF LODGE ADDS SPA AND NEW WING